Garbage disposals are a modern convenience and provide a fast way to deal with all of the food waste that inevitably ends up in your sink. Your garbage disposal can macerate the food waste so it doesn't lead to clogs in your pipes and drains. If your garbage disposal is clogged or no longer working as it should we can help you fix it!
Unique Plumbing & Drain, Inc. is a full service plumbing company based out of Akron and serving the surrounding area. We specialize in the repair and installation of garbage disposal units.
Like any mechanical equipment garbage disposals rely on periodic maintenance to keep working safely and efficiently. There are several things you can do to extend the life of your garbage disposal and reduce the need to call a plumber for repair.
Here are a few simple tips to keep your garbage disposal working properly
- Do NOT pour oil, fat or grease into your garbage disposal. Known as FOG in the plumbing industry this is a surefire way to cause problems in the future. The FOG will solidify in your drain and eventually lead to a clog.
- Do NOT put any hard objects like bones into your disposal. Bones are very hard and can cause damage to your blades or the motor of your garbage disposal. It's best to avoid sending hard objects through the disposal.
- Use The Garbage Disposal Regularly. The more you use the garbage disposal the better it will run. When you use it often it can prevent any rust or corrosion and reduce the waste build-up within the unit.
- Use Plenty Of Water When Using The Garbage Disposal. It's easier on the machine when you run lots of water through as your macerating food waste. If it's too dry it will be more difficult for the blades to tear up the food waste, this can lead to premature motor and blade wear and also clogs in your drain.
When a garbage disposal unit stops working it's usually been giving off warning signs for a while but it's not always something a homeowner knows to watch out for.
Here Are A Few Signs Your Garbage Disposal Needs To Be Repaired
- Grinding Noises: Your garbage disposal is only meant to grind up food waste. If you hear loud grinding noises you should off the garbage disposal immediately. There could be a piece of broken glass from some dishware or silverware that is caught up in the disposal. Glass, metal, wood, or other hard objects can cause damage to your garbage disposal and very quickly too.
- Keeps Requiring A Reset: Garbage disposals have a reset function on them that can be tripped for any number of reasons. If yours is tripping and requires to be reset more frequently than normal it's a sign that you may have an issue with the motor or with the wiring that is in place. We can find the problem with some simple diagnostics.
- Strange Or Foul Odors: Any foul odors or smells coming up from the garbage disposal could indicate a problem. There could be a clog somewhere in the drain or you could have a problem with the garbage disposal not being able to efficiently break down the food waste causing it to linger in the system and rot.
- Difference In Pitch or Tone: Like anything mechanical, your garbage disposal will probably have a familiar "humm" or noise that it makes while you're using it. If you notice the sound changes tone or pitch and stays that way it could indicate a problem somewhere in the system.
If you think you might have a problem with your garbage disposal unit please give us a all (330) 928-1272 or fill out our online contact form and we'll get right back to you.